Click here for Original Recipe
When I made it, I made it two ways, one with the almonds, one without. I love nuts in things, but hubby does not, so I thought I should see if it was worth making again if I did not add nuts.
1 C sliced almonds
1 1/4 C Whole Wheat Flour
3/4 C Unbleached White Flour
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
3/4 C butter (it called for unsalted, but I used salted)
1 C honey (my store honey was almost gone - i used 3/4 C store honey, the last T of local honey, and the last t of buckwheat honey my sister gave me) it was not quite a full cup
4 large eggs - these were fresh from my chickens!
1/4 C yogurt or sour cream: I used a plain greek yogurt that was milk & active cultures.
- Preheat oven to 325˚
- Grease a 9" round cake pan (I used 2 loaf pans - one with almonds, one without)
- Sprinkle bottom with 3/4 C of the almonds
- In one bowl - mix dry ingredients (Flours, Soda, Salt)
- In another bowl: mix butter, honey, and eggs. My batter was lumpy at this point. I mixed by hand, I wonder if I had used my electric mixer if the cake would have been fluffier? I also am thinking I might try to lighten it up further by separating the egg whites, and mixing till fluffy, then mixing in creamed butter, egg yolks, and honey.
- Stir in flour
- Stir in yogurt
- Stir in almonds - this was the point where I poured 1/2 the batter into the almond free pan. Then added almonds to the rest of the batter.
- Make sure everything is evenly moistened
- Mix 1 minute more
- Pour the batter over the almonds in the pan
- Bake for 50 - 55 minutes (this was plenty of time for my two loaf pans to finish as well)
- Cool for 15 minutes
- Remove from pans and cool before serving