Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Recipe: Sweet Honey Morning Muffin/Bread

I came across this recipe while looking for a cake made with honey on the internet. Google came up with quite a few entries, but only one did not have sugar. Reading the recipe I thought it would be more like a quick bread - and we were right. Still, it is a perfect addition to my Farmer's Market Menu - and super yummy!

Click here for Original Recipe

When I made it, I made it two ways, one with the almonds, one without. I love nuts in things, but hubby does not, so I thought I should see if it was worth making again if I did not add nuts.

1 C sliced almonds
1 1/4 C Whole Wheat Flour
3/4 C Unbleached White Flour
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
3/4 C butter (it called for unsalted, but I used salted)
1 C honey (my store honey was almost gone - i used 3/4 C store honey, the last T of local honey, and the last t of buckwheat honey my sister gave me) it was not quite a full cup
4 large eggs - these were fresh from my chickens!
1/4 C yogurt or sour cream: I used a plain greek yogurt that was milk & active cultures.
------
Directions

  • Preheat oven to 325˚
  • Grease a 9" round cake pan (I used 2 loaf pans - one with almonds, one without)
  • Sprinkle bottom with 3/4 C of the almonds
  • In one bowl - mix dry ingredients (Flours, Soda, Salt)
  • In another bowl: mix butter, honey, and eggs. My batter was lumpy at this point. I mixed by hand, I wonder if I had used my electric mixer if the cake would have been fluffier? I also am thinking I might try to lighten it up further by separating the egg whites, and mixing till fluffy, then mixing in creamed butter, egg yolks, and honey.
  • Stir in flour
  • Stir in yogurt
  • Stir in almonds - this was the point where I poured 1/2 the batter into the almond free pan. Then added almonds to the rest of the batter.
  • Make sure everything is evenly moistened
  • Mix 1 minute more
  • Pour the batter over the almonds in the pan
  • Bake for 50 - 55 minutes (this was plenty of time for my two loaf pans to finish as well)
  • Cool for 15 minutes
  • Remove from pans and cool before serving

1 comment:

Tracy said...

I made this for my preschool class today. I added 1 teaspoon of vanilla and only used 3 eggs. I baked it in muffin tins so it would bake faster (aprox. 20 minutes). I also mixed the dry, added the wet and mixed until smooth (no extra minute, my arm was tired.) We served them with honey sweetened whipped cream and sliced strawberries. They were a hit!!!