Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Cookies for Breakfast

I have a confession to make. My kids do not like everything I cook or bake.

Girl child especially has particular tastes, most notable in the realm of foods that are mixed together or cooked. Spaghetti should be in 3 separate piles, one for meat, one for sauce, and one for pasta. Oatmeal should be raw. Vegetables should be raw. And she does not always like milk.

Boy child is currently retesting his theory that he does not like peanut butter. He has had it three times this week and has not told me he does not like it. Perhaps we are past that phase. He does not always like all the meats I cook.

I like the kids to have a hot breakfast in the morning. Usually I try to make something the night before, or right away in the morning before work (hubby gets the kids up and off to school in the morning). The hubby's current standby for the kids is oatmeal since I stopped buying cold cereal.

Girl child turned to me today and told me she did not like anything but pancakes or waffles for breakfast. My mama heart wants to scoop her up and feed her pancakes and waffles every morning.

But I am out of flour again. What can I make that both children will enjoy for breakfast with oatmeal as the main ingredient. I have tried a oatmeal pancake which child neither was fond of (I loved it).

To the internet I went with this list:
Oatmeal
Honey
Peanut Butter
Eggs

Sounds like a cookie right? I went to supercook first. Because it usually pops up with just what I want. Only this time it failed me. No cookies to be found anywhere in the first page of desserts.

So I typed in a goodsearch for the ingredients above + cookie recipe.

After much browsing, here is what I found: Click here for Source

Of course I did not follow it exactly.


  • 1/2 cup chunky peanut butter    I used a natural creamy just peanuts variety
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar    I used honey
  • 1 egg    I used 2 eggs
  • 1-1/4 cups quick-cooking oats    Because of the extra egg and honey, I needed 2 1/4 cups
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • I added chocolate chips
  • I added 1/4t salt (2nd batch)
  • I added another 1-2T honey (2nd batch)
The first batch was not quite right. After having the hubby taste test, we decided it needed salt and a little more honey.

Directions

  • In a small bowl, cream peanut butter and brown sugar honey until fluffy. Beat in eggs. Add oats and baking soda to creamed mixture; mix well. Add salt and more honey; mix well.
  • Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets; flatten slightly. Bake at 350° for 6-8 minutes (8 minutes for me). Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 2 dozen. I got closer to 3 dozen with my modifications.
Cookies for breakfast.

No comments: